As we approach the end of the semester, we were completing our project Reef Nexus. Since my last posting, we had about 1 week to implement any enhancements that our professor provided to us as well as fixing any issues since the last milestone. For the most part, I believe we addressed the main enhancements given to us by our professor.
Our project is working and can be found at http://www.reefnexus.com.
The main issues that I was given was to populate the database with more fishes and to update the guides.
For the first issue, I took a list of fish information from a Wikipedia page that was given to me by Danny. I had to input an additional 80 fish to the database and double check that the fishes were being added to the table. While this didn’t involve much code, it was quite tedious to copy and paste the common name, family, genus and species of those 80 fishes into our code.
For the second issue, I took the task of updating the guides with screenshots of the new webpage.
As side from these issues, I tried to tackle other issues when my other group members were working on another project. One of the issues was to add authentication to the webpage. I had tried to adopt our professor’s code into our project, but it didn’t work and I had to do some work for another project. In the end, our group decided that we should focus on the other issues.
As I mentioned, aside from the first two issues; I had helped around and tried to fix errors in our projects. It seems that our group communication broke down as we were all trying to juggle multiple projects at once.
The last thing I did for the project was to do last minute CheckStyle on our master branch.
I did enjoy working on this project and the project idea was an interesting one. However, it was quite stressful trying to juggle multiple projects at once as the semester came to an end. What I felt was really challenging was moving our application from an in-memory database to Postgres. Our group had problems with it working correctly with Heroku and I feel that some of us were trying to fix the same issues as another group member. I know I did, I tried to fix the Postgres issue but it turned out that another member pushed their fix up first. There are still some issues left for this project and improvements that could be made. But with the deadline coming up, I feel satisfied with our work and I think we were very successful given a month to get to this point.